Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Fullfilling a Calling I Never Received

For those who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, a bit of explanation would need to understand what I feel like writing about tonight.  First off, our church does not believe in a paid clergy.  Everyone is expected to volunteer our time with what is asked of us to the best of our ability in order to make everything work.  Of course, if it is just left as a free for all, there would be a bunch of chaos, and not much progression.  Because of this, we are all given jobs, or callings, where we are given a specific job to do, with specific requirements, for a set amount of time, and then, in most cases, you are given a new job, and someone else takes over for you. Some jobs take a lot of time, for instance a missionary is called for some time between 18 months and 2 years, and for that time they are serving pretty much 24/7.  There are some callings where you might have meetings 4 or 5 times a week for a couple of hours.  Or you might be a teacher in church where you have to prepare a lesson for an hour or two, maybe more, and then teach on Sunday.  We don't compete for callings, or campaign for them.  We are given them by inspiration from God, and often times, it is a growing experience that you can't even imagine being fit for, until you grow into it. And you never seem to know where your next calling may take you.

The church is also set up to boost each other up, to help one another, and to make sure no one is left behind.  In order to do this, there are people called to do exactly that.  Each household has two men who are called to be their "home teachers".  Home teachers have the job of checking in with you every month, or more, and providing what help you may need, be that anything from administering to the sick, to moving your grand piano to your new house.  Each household is also assigned two women who are visiting teachers.  They, too, are responsible for checking in on you, and doing whatever they can to help.  In my eyes, the most important part of being a visiting teacher is being a friend.

It is an amazing set up! I have made some of my dearest friends by either being their visiting teacher, or having them as mine!  When everyone is doing their job, it is hard to not feel so much love from those around you, and things run smoothly, and wonderfully, even when personal crisis may be threatening your own life. 

The other day I was thinking about callings, what I have done, what I am currently doing, and so forth, and I remembered a comment someone once made to me.  First I need to explain that there is also another calling, one I have never had, but have many times had serve me.  The calling is Compassionate Service Leader.   This calling has always seemed like such a wonderful calling in my eyes.  When there is someone in need, this woman gets to call around and make sure everything is arranged to help them out, and make sure the structure is there to support them, and help them through.  From newborn babies, sick families, rides for those without transportation, and even funerals. 

A while ago, I was sitting in church, and they released the compassionate service chair, and called a new one.  Afterwards a friend came up to me and said she was surprised I was not given that calling.  To me, I wasn't at all surprised, but the statement hit me pretty strongly, and especially from who has said it, I took that statement as a huge compliment.  I try to help others, honestly, and often times I know I don't do as much as I could.  When I hear about someone going through something difficult, and I realize (even if  I didn't know about it at the time, and only found out afterwards) that I did nothing to help them, it breaks my heart.  I don't know how I expect to have a sense about who is having a hard time, but in my mind, I should so I can help them, as impossible as it might be for me to have that knowledge.  Sometimes I have been lucky enough to just feel like taking over dinner to someone, or call them, or something.  I honestly believe I have those feelings more often when I remember to pray for them, and have never regretted taking that time to show my love for someone who needed it.

So, I was sitting there thinking about how amazing it was that someone thought I would be a good person to help with such an amazing calling, but realizing how no one truly needs a calling in order to serve in such a way.  Now, I am not promoting that everyone simply shows up and does whatever they want at church whenever they want.  But what if in every situation in life we simply looked at what we could do, what we should do, and pretended that we had a calling related to the situation we were in.  For example, I had the amazingly awesome experience of being a girls camp director.  I honestly still look, and have no idea why I had that opportunity, but I did. Since then I have been moved to teach nursery, the children age 18 months to 3 years old.  Obviously being released from girls camp, after watching these wonderful young women do so much, and become so close to my heart, just because I am released I am not going to pretend they don't exist.  I am not going to turn away any of the smiles, hugs, or waves that I see when I am at the junior high. I am not going to stop wanting to serve them as a youth leader, even though the calling is gone.  They are such amazing girls, and I still want to do all I can to teach them what I can. I am sure God still expects me to show them my love, and to be an example of the love that he has for each of them. And I know there is no way in this world I want to stop being around their sweetness and happiness.   With the change of the calendar my sweet little munchkins I was in charge of teaching all moved on to the next class.  But heavens knows I am still going to love their sweet smiles, and sweet little spirits every chance I have to see them, and I hope they always think of me as their teacher, even if they have moved on.  It is simply amazing to me how much love you can gain for someone by simply taking the chance to serve them.  And that love stays with you forever, even when the circumstances may change where you are not continually serving them. 

But then there are also the callings you have never had, and the ones you may never have. What if we all tried to do every calling we could without being asked to? Every adult acted every moment of every day as a youth leader, just in case one might be watching.  Everyone acted with the kindness and love of a nursery leader, showing patience to everyone, and giving them love when they felt like crying? What if every person decided they were going to be a compassionate service leader, visiting teacher, or home teacher to every individual they came in contact with, not just their assigned families? What if everyone was actively, every day of their life, looking for anyone they could serve, in  small ways or big?  This is my goal, to excel at every calling I can possibly serve in, whether I am called to it, or not.  I don't see how a calling should matter in most cases. I am perfectly capable of simply serving and teaching without being formally asked.  I hope others will join me too, and serve in callings they have never had.  I hope they will help teach children through their example and love, even if no one asks them. Can you imagine the world if everyone were willing to join in this? And, maybe even a better question would be, can you imagine the difference in your life if you simply chose to do this?

No comments:

Post a Comment