Thursday, September 10, 2015

Thoughts on the Parable of the Ten Virgins

Matthew 25
 Then shall the kingdom of heaven be likened unto ten virgins, which took their lamps, and went forth to meet the bridegroom.
 And five of them were wise, and five were foolish.
 They that were foolish took their lamps, and took no oil with them:
 But the wise took oil in their vessels with their lamps.
 While the bridegroom tarried, they all slumbered and slept.
 And at midnight there was a cry made, Behold, the bridegroom cometh; go ye out to meet him.
Then all those virgins arose, and trimmed their lamps.
And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
But the wise answered, saying, Not so; lest there be not enough for us and you: but go ye rather to them that sell, and buy for yourselves.
And while they went to buy, the bridegroom came; and they that were ready went in with him to the marriage: and the door was shut.
Afterward came also the other virgins, saying, Lord, Lord, open to us.
But he answered and said, Verily I say unto you, I know you not.
Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh.
 
This parable has always been one of my favorites, and has been on my mind more and more lately.  We have been taught the virgins represent the members of the church, and, of course, thinking of the parable in this way is frightening.   Growing up, I was blessed to have some trials which solidified my faith, and experiences where I could not deny God, nor His love for me.   And, although I am definitely not finished in learning and gaining a testimony, I know my Savior.  But I often times find myself wondering, which group of the Virgins do I fall into?  Will I have enough oil?
 
If you consider those who leave the church for some reason where their worldly mind has forgotten to consider "worldly problems" with an eternal mind, then I could figure myself safe, and decide I have no need to fear, or strive to work harder and learn more.  But, I wonder, are they even waiting for the Savior still?
 
The virgins and went forth to meet the bridegroom.  They hadn't left, offended because they assumed men being priesthood leaders meant women were not valued, forgetting that His most precious children are given to women to nurture.  They hadn't left because they decided that the church was old fashioned in its belief of Traditional Marriage, forgetting that marriages are for eternity, and our spirits are eternal in nature.  Those have already left.  They no longer wait. 
 
The virgins weren't those who were lukewarm, only going to church to socialize.  Those wouldn't wait till midnight.  They would go home and sleep.
 
The virgins were anxiously waiting. Their joy and happiness at the upcoming event filled them so they waited until midnight for their Lord.  The darkness did not dampen their spirits because they knew who was coming.
 
Upon finding they didn't have enough oil, the foolish virgins didn't give up and go home.  They asked others for help, and then hurried off to buy oil.  They hadn't left yet.  They wanted so dearly to be present when the bridegroom came.  They were still trying to be faithful, and didn't even realize their shortcomings until it was too late.  They had forgotten to prepare, and weren't able to rely on last minute efforts.
 
So, does that mean that of the 10 virgins, they were all those who were doing what they felt they needed? Are they those who state they will wait, no matter how long He tarries? Does that mean, of those who say their faith will never falter, half will run out of oil?  It is a scary thought, not because I doubt my friends in the church, but simply because I know of their faith.  I know of their trust in God and their love for Him.  It is because of the strength of others around me that I wonder, which group am I in? 
 
Of course, this isn't a competition.  I have no doubt that Jesus won't come down with a checklist, pull it out, and say, "Ok, I have 5000 of you, which means 2500 don't make the cut.  Now, I see you missed a day of scripture reading last week?  Sorry, you are right on the line, so I guess you are out. And you, over there, you are just barely making it!  You should  be happy that she missed those scriptures or you wouldn't be here!" 
 
But, it does mean there are those of us waiting, yearning to be a part of the great day, and thinking we are ready, and yet, when He comes, He will speak, Verily I say unto you, I know you not. 
 
We must be daily making sure we have the oil we need.   We need to be constantly evaluating if we are doing what we need, and what we can do to better serve Him and become His disciple.  We need to be not only strong in our testimonies, but also serve others.  We need to not only know of  His love and His path for us, but help others understand and know of that love, as well as share with them His path.  We need to allow Him to make our weaknesses strong through the atonement.  We need to rid ourselves of our sins and our flaws.  And the Savior is the way.  We must strive to learn Him, and become as He is every day of our lives, so when He comes, He will know us. 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment